Few things aggravate me more than bullies and people who take advantage of the disadvantaged. Part 4 of our water series was going to be more of a rant for this reason (SEE part 1, part 2 and part 3). However, I realize that very few people may actually know what is happening with the BIG THREE WATER MONOPOLIES so I decided to break it down in bullet form instead. I didn’t want the content to get lost in the anger of my words. Most of my information is coming from the documentary BLUE GOLD: World Water Wars. If you haven’t seen it, I highly suggest you take time to watch it and educate yourself as to the gross behavior and atrocities that are taking place by the multinational BIG WATER MONOPOLIES. Below is a trailer for the documentary.
Why is the World Running Out of Water? Isn’t there a Water Cycle?
- 97% of Earth’s water is salt water; 3% is fresh. However much of the fresh water is contaminated. Only about 1% of fresh water is now drinkable because of agricultural and industrial wastes such as pesticides and other chemicals (as discussed in part 2 of our series).
- Diseases in the water are killing more children today than malaria, AIDS, or wars.
- Over 60% of the world’s wetlands have been destroyed in the last 100 years. Wetlands are supposed to be a natural filtration system for the world water supply. Without wetlands, our water is undrinkable.
- Massive sinkholes are evidence that our aquifers (underground water supplies) are also diminishing.
- Water is being utilized in applications that are not conducive to recharging the water supply, but depleting it and rendering it useless for human consumption and use.
- Soil erosion creates water run-off. This means water can not absorb into the soil but runs off into the ocean instead of filling the aquifers and lakes. Adding to that problem is fresh water filling the oceans and desalinating the ocean water. This creates extreme weather patterns that we are now seeing globally.
- Modern large city-dwelling populations create pavement/concrete areas that encourage water run-off instead of ground absorption.
- Dams change the water shed by diverting excess water to places it was not suppose to exist in such large quantities. The nutrients in water are killed by dams as they are non-moving and super-heated. Rivers and lakes create more movement of water and keep nutrients alive. However, we are quickly losing the surface water that is collected in waterways such as lakes, streams and rivers because of damming and contamination.
- It is becoming evident that water is the new oil since access to it is becoming scarce. Clean water (bottled by these mega corporations) is actually much more expensive than a gallon of gasoline.
Big Three Multinational Water Corporations
- SUEZ, VEOLIA, RWE Thames are the BIG THREE MULTINATIONAL WATER CORPORATIONS. All major bottled water companies are under one of these big three multinational companies. So when you buy a bottled water you are supporting one of these corporations!!!!!
- UN has aligned itself with these BIG THREE WATER CORPORATIONS to do their bidding
- 1992 the UN declared water as a commodity, not a right, giving these companies power to influence governments and trade organizations to manipulate countries (especially poorer countries) into privatizing their water.
Big Water Profiting from Developing World Debt
- The World Bank is partnering with large multinational water companies.
- WTO (WORLD TRADE ORGANIZATION) is run by the quad (US, CANADA, JAPAN, AND EU) all who have ties to big water corporations.
- In exchange for debt relief developing nations are coerced into privatizing their water.
- After privatization, most water begins to become contaminated. (According to Atlanta politician who was part of the privatization by SUEZ and a few others mentioned in the documentary)
- Privatization raises water rates and reduces the water quality
- Water used by water/beverage companies are not being used just for public water water consumption, but sold to large corporations that take as much water as it wants! Prime example is MEXICO who privatized its water. The private BIG WATER company then sold the water to Coca-cola during the Fox administration. Before becoming president of Mexico, FOX worked for Coca-cola.
- We pay more for water than Coca-cola which USES privatized water to make its product!! How does that make any sense?
- Water hunters seek fresh water where the government is corrupt or the laws are written loosely.
- Desalination Plants (which is a potential private solution to the water crisis) in private hands will eventually control the water supply. They are not concerned keeping the water free from being polluted if corporations can then come to the rescue and clean it. The water will become their property to supply to people as they choose and will charge what they want for ‘their services’. Like Monsanto, which owns the seed technology , and are trying to control the food supply, these BIG DESALINATION CORPORATIONS (like DOW CHEMICAL who is also a big GMO SEED producer) will control the water supply.
- Poor countries are charged for water in an unreasonable manner. They often don’t know when they will get water so people are forced to leave their tap on blowing air until the water comes through. In the meantime they are charged for the air because their tap is open! It forces them to go to polluted waters and streams to get their water.
- Politicians in the know are headed to countries that are rich in fresh water resources and buying up land near the aquifers. The Bush family (George H Bush Sr. and Jenna Bush) own several hundreds of thousands of acres of land in Paraguay near one of the world’s largest underground aquifers in the world. Um, yeah that doesn’t sound suspicious at all . . . .
How Can We Stop This Atrocity Individually?
- STOP BUYING bottled water out of convenience.
- Get INVOLVED on the local level and know your local watershed
- Keep your local water shed CLEAN
- KNOW whether you local water shed has been privatized and talk to local politicians about changing that if it has. If not, encourage them not to privatize it in the future.
- TALK TO YOU NEIGHBORS, FRIENDS, and FAMILIES about this issue. Often these companies come in without any knowledge of the local population. We as citizens need to know that our water is being stolen from us! WATER is NOT a COMMODITY but a RIGHT! Without it we DIE!
Here’s another trailer for the Documentary ‘FLOW’. This is also a worth documentary on this same topic:
Other Posts in this Series
Stealing and Contaminating Water Around the World (pt 4 – this post)
Post links to: Keep It Real, Simple Lives, Fight Back, Fill those Jars, Homestead Barnhop, Monday Mania, Fat Tuesday, Scratch Cookin’, Traditional Tuesday, Frugal Days, Real Food Wednesday, Whole Food Wednesday, Small Footprint Friday,