Is there anything better than hot soup on a cold day? No. No, there is not. Except maybe a hot cup of coffee w/ heavy cream– that might compete! But I doubt you need a recipe for coffee… you don’t, right?
- 3 Tbsp organic butter or ghee
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 lbs carrots, peeled and chopped (or use baby carrots)
- Juice from 2 oranges (I have this juicer, but I bought mine at Target.)
- 1-2 tsp fresh microplaned ginger
- 1 Tbsp garam masala (I buy mine, but you can try Jen’s recipe here.)
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 mason jar (quart size) of chicken broth (beef will work, too)
- 1 handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can of coconut milk (I use this BPA free kind. Or you could do what Jen does.)
- Melt butter or ghee over medium heat and saute onions until soft.
- Add carrots, orange juice, spices and broth and simmer until the carrots are tender (20-30 minutes).
- Add salt, pepper and fresh cilantro.
- Use an immersion blender (I just bought one!) and puree until smooth. Or puree in batches using a regular blender.
- Stir in coconut milk. If you have time, let the soup hang out for a couple of hours at room temperature to allow for the flavors to combine. Adjust salt and pepper as necessary and enjoy!
Post links to: Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter, Fresh Bites Friday, Fight Back Friday, Friday Food Flicks, Sunday School, Sunday Night Soup, Seasonal Celebration, Homestead Barnhop, Real Food 101, Fat Tuesday, Traditional Tuesdays, Real Food Wednesday