I love stuffed food. I mean, c’mon… you take food and you stuff it with more food. It’s genius! And… it looks and sounds fancy-ish, don’t ya think? Okay, so if you want to make this (and you totally do), here is what you need.
- 2 acorn squash
- 1 lb. sausage (use whatever kind you want, I used Sweet Italian– remove the casing)
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- salt and pepper
- 1/4-1/2 tsp. sage
- 1 celery rib
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 apples
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup almond meal or flax meal
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
1. Pre heat oven to 400. Cut squash in half length wise and scoop out the seeds. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and sage to taste.
2. Use 1 Tbsp. of butter and cut into 4 squares. Place 1 square in each half of squash. Roast for 60 minutes.
3. While squash is roasting, melt remaining 2 Tbsp. butter in a pan over medium heat and brown the sausage. Remove sausage from pan and let cool in a mixing bowl. Leave the fat in the pan.
4. Finely dice the onion, celery and garlic and saute over medium heat for a few minutes– until they are softened. Add some salt and pepper. Then add the chopped apples and saute for a couple more minutes.
5. Remove from heat and add to the mixing bowl with the sausage. Allow to cool.
6. When sausage and vegetable mixture are cool enough to handle, add egg and almond or flax meal. Chop rosemary finely and add as well. Mix with your hands (I’m sure I don’t need to tell you to wash them first, right?) until well combined.
7. After an hour, remove squash from the oven. Divide the stuffing among the 4 halves– the stuffing should be mounded– and bake for another 20 minutes.
8. To avoid scorching the roof of your mouth… like I did… you should be patient and let it cool for a bit before you
stuff it into your mouth eat it! Enjoy.
Shared at Fight Back Friday, Monday Mania, Fat Tuesday, Real Food 101, Real Food Wednesday, Gluten Free Wednesdays, Grain Free Carnival, Fight Back Friday and Fresh Bites Friday.